The Financial Oracle

Young and inspired striving for financial freedom and all the perks that come with it, all while still having fun before I die and leave all of my hard earned money to my unborn children.


Friday, November 17, 2006

Mortgage Protection

This is something I never thought I'd consider: mortgage protection. The purpose of mortgage protection is to pay off the remainder of your mortgage if you die, become disabled and can't work, and in some cases, make your mortgage payment in case of unemployment. The reason I'm considering this is the latter. I've only been working in the private sector for about 10 months now, and it's much different than working for the government like I used to. You could probably kill somebody on the job and not get fired working in the public sector. Luckily I was able to land a job with a higher salary and much more potential, but there are plans in place to start outsourcing 90% of IT in my company starting in 2010. Now I know I still have 3 years, and it's not a guarantee that I'll be laid off or even be with the same company when that comes, but I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to supporting myself and my family. I don't know if it's a great idea to pay a premium on mortgage protection when I could be putting that money toward the principle, but I sent the form in to get more info anyway.

Updates on this will follow...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home